According to statistics, over 20 million Nigerians are Persons with Disabilities (PWD). The United Nations, as well as international and local civil society organizations, assess that people with disabilities are mainly stuck in squalor and face inequalities in access to education, healthcare, employment and social and community participation including political participation. In Nigeria, more than 80 percent of the people with disabilities live in low and middle-income parts of society.
Many of the problems which PWDs face can be addressed through employment and income generation while mainstreaming active citizenship and leadership in those activities. Unfortunately, in Nigeria, the employability of PWDs as well as their ability to participate effectively in governance processes, engage in income generation activities is very low due to their poor skills set especially computer skills; bearing in mind that the world is moving towards advancing ICT for modern operations.
The project’s overall objective is to provide people with disabilities with gainful employment through training and start up on mobile phone repair, mainstream leadership and active citizenship amongst the trainees to lead influencing advocacy to the public and agencies for the implementation and strengthen the Nigerian SME sector specifically SMEs founded and run by this PWD while at the same time making them investment ready through a well–thought-out incubation, business development and social business trainings.
And the specific objectives are:
- To train people with disabilities on ICT application and mobile phone maintenance and repairs;
- To provide laptops for the successful trainees to set up phone repairs businesses
- To provide continued mentorship and back support for the small businesses and link them up to other potential business and finance opportunities
This project is designed to be a social inclusion intervention and therefore, a win-win because it creates much–needed jobs as well as keeps people with disabilities off the streets. In the end, the project addresses Specific problems such as
- Poor ICT knowledge of the target beneficiaries to meet the 21st–century technology–driven economy.
- High unemployment rates of the target beneficiaries
- Addressing social exclusive of people with special needs
- People with disabilities have ICT and mobile phone repair training and skills and as well own small businesses.